1. Computing

Windows 7 Tip of the Day: Avoid iTunes

By November 7, 2009

Mary Landesman, About.com's Guide to antivirus software, blogs about the incredibly dumb decision by Apple to make Windows 7 less secure by reimplementing a feature called autorun within iTunes. Autorun allows viruses to spread quickly over a network. Mary quite properly cautions anyone using Windows 7 to keep iTunes off their computer.

Come on Apple, change this immediately. You're constantly touting Mac's superiority over Windows in the security department -- yet you implement a change in Windows 7 that makes it less secure! Can you say hypocrisy?

Comments
November 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(1) Richard Mitnick says:

I have two Vista machines. I tried iTunes for about a month. I was left with an optical drive disabled. When I went for help to my manufacturer, the very first tech asked if I had iTunes. By then I had dumped it. But, he said, I had been left with two filters, a high filter and a low filter, which disabled the optical drive. He went by remote access into my Registry and in about two minutes he deleted the filters and the optical drive was restored with no other work.

I see no use for iTunes or the iTunes store on a Windows machine. I use Winamp and WMP11. I also use Zune and have four (count’em) 120 gig Zune players to deal with my 500 gigs of audio and video. I buy music at Amazon. Amaazon is much cheaper and has a much greater variety of Classical music and Jazz.

November 8, 2009 at 10:39 am
(2) windows says:

Richard, great comments! Yeah, iTunes has always been quirky on Windows, since way back when. You’d think, given the size of the potential audience, Apple would work harder to get it right.

November 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm
(3) Jim says:

Come on, Itunes is the supreme music management tool. You guys are kidding yourselves.

November 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(4) Russell says:

An Apple app making Win 7 less secure? Sounds intentional to me! Apple, again, trying to get Windows users to switch over to them … by sabotage.

December 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(5) ASanders says:

The upper and lower filters are there even without Itunes. I upgraded to Windows 7 and installed a fresh copy of windows on my Dell laptop. Immediately the optical drive was missing. It took about 10 seconds of searching Windows 7 forums to find out that the registry values had to be changed regarding the upper and lower filters. That immediately fixed the problem. I have never had itunes on this machine either.

February 10, 2010 at 6:02 am
(6) Abhinav Kumar says:

you said you upgraded…

June 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm
(7) Marcus says:

iTunes is absolutely useless on any Windows PC or laptop, serves no real purpose other than to play music on the pc and makes shifting music across from hard drive to portable device completely ridiculously and unnecessarily difficult for newbies. Winamp and Windows Media Player are both doddles to use, offer several features more than iTunes does, and comes with lots more in the way of eye-candy features, even for complete beginners they can’t fail to get to grips with either of those. One has a massive online community, and the other has a stack of help related articles within a standard help file. iTunes, along with any other ‘i’ music related product should just get off the market. Apple are just killing their own prospects by limiting the security of the Windows OS, and as a result, aren’t really doing anything to win over any consumer votes except from Apple Mac users.

September 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(8) Tanko Dakup says:

Windows 7 is the newest version of operating systems. Why is it not built with strong antivirus system to protect systems that use the version from being infected?