1. Technology

Are You Having Windows 7 - Skype Problems?

By April 16, 2010

A number of readers have commented about problems they're having with getting Skype to work on their Windows 7 machines. Skype, for the uninitiated, is a free service that allows you to make calls, both voice and video, to other computers that also have Skype installed.

I use it all the time to talk to my daughter in college, and love it. I don't have any problems using either the voice or video functionality in Skype, but other readers have. If that's you, please respond below or email me directly. If there's enough response, I'll contact the company and see if I can find out what's going on.

In the meantime, I highly recommend downloading, installing and using Skype. It's always worked well for me -- and you can't beat free!

Comments
April 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(1) PHILIP R. SCHEIER says:

Thanks Keith Ward and About,com for picking up this erratic problem. I use Skype with Win 7 and in some cases dealing with others with same setup, Skype is perfect. But also, with some others, also using the Win 7 program, is fouls up. Is this a personality problem…or what?
A Win 7 friend with whom I do Skype, has ongoing problems, with the picture breaking up and then returning to normal. With another Win 7 friend, it works for a while and then goes bonkers. Appreciate any fix u can come up with.

April 20, 2010 at 11:43 am
(2) bill ure says:

Hi Keith,
Have been trying to attract attention to this problem for months. I bought a Packard Bell Easynote TJ65, with WIN 7 preinstalled, in January. I have used Skype with different laptops almost since it started, with no problems.
With WIN 7, I can hear the people I call clearly, but they either cannot hear me, or my voice is so distorted that they can understand nothing. I have spent several weeks searching for help from Skype, but they really have the worst customer service in the world. Ironically they do not even seem to have a phone, or at least not one available to the little people who pay their wages. I may well drive to Luxembourg and knock on their door!
I have tried every variation of sound settings, microphone settings etc., and have downloaded the latest version of Skype, now 4.2.158.
I have to keep my old XP on my desk just for Skype!
Microsoft won’t help because WIN 7 was preinstalled, Packard Bell won’t help because they do not support Skype,
(what is the mike and video camera for then?), and Skype do not seem to exist. Help please,
Regards, Bill Ure

April 21, 2010 at 10:56 am
(3) Dani wood says:

Hi
I recently bought an Easynote TJ71 Packard bell and my skype is no longer working properly, Everyone I talk to says the sound keeps dying out and they can’t hear me, I have tried aclling Packard Bell as I have imnsurance with them and they say they have not had any complaints with other people who have skype and this computer. I dont know what else to do, have you found a solution, I have also downloaded the newer skype and this hasnt helped.
Thanks
Dan

April 22, 2010 at 7:28 am
(4) Peter Parkes (Skype Blogger) says:

Sorry to hear that people have been having problems with Skype on Windows 7 – you can find answers to many common problems on our help site, but please get in touch with our support team directly if you have any questions which aren’t answered there. They work 24/7 and aim to reply to the vast majority of people within 12 hours.

July 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(5) Lindsay MercellVars says:

I have had Windows 7 for several months and only recently had any problem. It started on my husband’s machine, he logged off Skype and then couldn’t get logged back in. Then on the advice of the Skype help ppl, we tried to log him in on my laptop and now neither of us can log back in. We get an error that Skype doesn’t recognize our username/password, then when we try to reset the password through the “forgot password” thing, we get “An internal error occurred” message. And now we can’t even create a new skype account! Have contacted Skype help, but I’m wondering if its connected to a recent Windows update or something…

August 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm
(6) maria says:

excuse me mr. man but that was no help at all i need HELP!!! I am using skype to talk to my friends in New Orleans…GO SAINTS!!!!…. and i had my dad check everything and he said it was good and working swell but the video quality is still low… i dont understand this stuff… god put me on earth to make my husband a sandwhich not to work computers so please mysterious man who talks to his daughter in college please help me work this problem out
love,
maria conswella banderas fosola sequeria rodriugez millar

August 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm
(7) louise says:

Hi,
I have also problems with skype since I have got my new HP laptop with windows 7.
When I check the connexion, it says everything is fine but as soon as I start a video call, the connexion is low, the quality is poor. Then I can only talk to my contact for a few minuts before it stops and I cannot even re-call immediately, the call does not go through.
The broadband is working fine as my husband uses skype on his own laptop and it works properly.
I look for anwsers on google, skype website etc but there is no answer to that problem. I will really appreciate any help as I use skype a lot to talk to my family overseas.
Thanks

August 21, 2010 at 12:44 am
(8) Blake says:

I’m having the same/similar problems. Extremely frustrating as have also been scanning the internet for answers, delving thru my computer with limited knowledge, down to the shop…. I have a new HP laptop with Windows 7 and I can hear others but they are having great difficulties in hearing me-dropping out, fuzzy, poor quality and generally simply unable to carry on a conversation making the technology useless! As with others all things on my system say working fine. I even wondered in my ignorance if I needed a head or hand set but I shouldn’t with these latest built in hi tech mics right? Anyway, thanks for taking the interest. HELP

August 22, 2010 at 10:50 am
(9) Juliana says:

I can hear the people I call clearly, but they either cannot hear me, or my voice is so distorted that they can understand nothing. I have spent several weeks searching for help from Skype, but they really have the worst customer service in the world. If you check their website they said it is all about microphone problems (crazy)
I used to buy lot of credit to call my parents and family in Lima but now I’m changing back to buy phone cards.

August 25, 2010 at 4:44 am
(10) David says:

I have used Skype since it came out, but recently bought a Dell Vostro PC running Windows 7 professional and Skype will not work. It will launch and you can start to make a call, but you wont get an answer and you wont be able to cancel the ringing sound without restarting the computer. Skype say they know there is a problem and ‘are working hard to fix it’. In fact they have been saying that for weeks. Crazy thing is my netbook, which also runs a reduced version of Windows 7 runs Skype perfectly well.

August 25, 2010 at 5:17 am
(11) simone says:

i have an inspiron mini 10 and no luck with skype at all – just wont pick up the calls and tells me the computer is running too slowly…only reason i bought the damn thing was to skpye when travelling for work and it just wont even log on to it sometimes – HELP!

September 2, 2010 at 9:10 am
(12) Jason says:

Sounds like I’m having a lot of the same issues.
In a two-way conversation my video was lagging and the audio was patching in and out. I shut down the video since that’s really all I need and the problem persisted. Assuming it was an upload or download speed issue I did a speed check on my machine. I’m downloading at 10.6 Mp/s and uploading at .94 Mp/s which both meet the requirements for Skype. I did microphone tests and it seems to be working fine. Wondering if my friend’s voice was interfering with the microphone I put headphones on. The problem persisted.
Much like the other users here I have an HP that I bought a few months ago with Windows 7.
I really don’t care about the video (although it would be nice if it worked) but it’s pretty frustrating that the audio doesn’t work and there seems to be no explanation.
I took Peter’s advice above and emailed support.
If I don’t get any satisfaction I’m going to switch to the new service Google provides, which so far is working great.

September 5, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(13) Laura says:

I have also problems with skype. I have a new HP laptop with windows 7.
The connection is always good when I log on, but as soon as I make a video call, the connection immediatly becomes poor, the quality of the call and video is poor, and then the call drops. Then Skype seems to shut down completely (sometimes it disconnects me from the internet!). There is no issue with my internet because MSN messenger with video and voice works fine, and I have no issues with any other program I run. I have even tried closing down all windows and all programs to see if Skype will run better, but it makes no difference.
I am located in Germany for a few years and use Skype to keep in contact with my friends and family in the States when we want to “see” eachother. There really needs to be a resolution to this problem. I am considering just deleting Skype altogether!

September 8, 2010 at 7:04 am
(14) Adam says:

Yep, having problems too. Get ‘em to fix it Pete!!

September 8, 2010 at 11:01 am
(15) Gary says:

Windows 7, new Dell Latitude laptop. When people call me I cannot hear them. This problem doesn’t happen if I call them. However, if another call comes in while I’m speaking to them, same thing happens. my sound goes away.

September 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(16) Alex says:

New Acer laptop with Windows 7. The problem is similar to what PHILIP R. SCHEIER described. The video call starts in normal quality but a minute later the picture goes dark and nasty. This is endless and video calls are unusable. This bug is in the latest version of Skype. No such problem in Windows Live Messenger for example.
For me personally Skype is full of bugs and it is not what it used to be. The stability ended at version 3.8.

September 13, 2010 at 6:50 am
(17) belle says:

I have the same problems as well as to most of the concerns here. I thought that was just my connection. But what happened today is very frustrating. My skype suddenly froze and when I get to start Skype again, it says “Skype is no longer available for your operating system” Of course im using win7. I don’t understand. I was thinking if it’s just my skype who has problems or skype itself really stopped supporting win7 without notifications. I need skype. I use skype everyday and skype has been very useful. I need help and answers.. please…

September 23, 2010 at 11:50 am
(18) farhana says:

dear sir i have a problem getting an skpe account i have filled complete info but theres a problem with the password i have typed so many different types of password only in number and somtime in words and between 6-20 letters.could you explain what is the problem?.

September 25, 2010 at 7:57 am
(19) Colin says:

Hi,
I have a similar problem.
New Packardbell laptop with windows7.
Skype connects fine but the other person can hardly hear me.
I can see and hear them fine, but they say I am distorted and very quiet.
I have changed every conciveable setting during calls but to no avail.
IF I want to be heard I have to resort to using my little netbook with XP installed which works perfectly with skype.
I like many others here work overseas and like to see and speak to my family.
This is really frustrating, but the only consolation is that from reading all the other problems, it is not the new laptop at fault, but the stupid useless windows7 operating system.
Maybe microsoft should talk to skype and fix this problem, as i’m sure there are many thousands of others with the same issue.

October 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(20) billy says:

i have been so frustrated with the skype windows 7 issues. inconsistently skype will cease to function or hang in the middle of signing in. the skype icon will still display in the tray and when i try to close it using the task manager and open a fresh instance it always fails, at this point i am forced to restart my computer. what’s more frustrating is that after a failed attempt to use skype my computer must be restarted before playing any sort of media file. i have already posted something on the skype website, but i appreciate whatever you can do to finally bring this to their attention and get it fixed, i’ve been dealing with this issue since dec2009… thanks!

October 11, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(21) Gerhard Feil says:

Oktober 11th 2010

I have a new laptop with windows 7 and I have problems with Skype whe I contact someone in USA. I can talk to Brasil, to China, to Paraguay, to the Philippines and all with video, and with no problem at all even at long time coversations. As soon as I am connected with anyone of my friends in the USA their picture will kind of freeze on my laptop within only one minute ! WHAT COULD BE THE REASON FOR THAT ?
Besides tha my laptop will become very hot also the air circulation is not at all blocked.
THIS HAPPENS NOW SINCE ABOUT TWO WEEKS. Before that I did not have this problem on this very same laptop.
I hope you can help me.

Gerhard Feil

October 12, 2010 at 9:21 am
(22) Donna says:

Seems I will be preaching to the choir…bought new Dell Inspiron in July with installed webcam just so I would be able to see my new grandson….worked perfectly until last week, video started to load, then stopped…he could see me, but I could not get video to load on my end. Called someone else with Skype installed, same thing, they could see me, but the sound on my end was terrible as well. I need help to resolve this, but it seems, I/we are all talking to a dead end!! What to do??!!

October 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm
(23) Jun says:

I have a new desktop PC with Windows 7 and I do also have a similar problem with Skype when I talk to Japan and USA. I can hear them but they can’t hear me well. According to them, my voice gets cut off in the middle of the conversation without any particular pattern. Ive tried almost everything; upgrading and downgrading skype, setting the priority to HIGH from Task manager, Cancelling Mic echo, and etc….Nothing has worked so far and I’m still trying however if I use my old desktop(XP) or laptop(XP), it works fine.
Can you help?!

October 15, 2010 at 7:05 am
(24) Sven-Ake says:

I have a Bell Inspiron 17 and have downloaded Skype. Have the icons and all but can’t get it to open Skype. Mostly it try to start but after some seconds it pops up a note that says that Skype is shut down. Sometimes I can try to logg in but after I have written the name and password and hit the button it pops up again, Skype is closed down.
It is working fine at my old XP computer.

October 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm
(25) bill ure says:

Hi Again.
I left comment no.2, on 20th. April, and nothing has happened since. I very rarely use Skype with Win7, and still have my old XP next to me, which has always worked perfectly with Skype.
When so many people are having virtually identical problems
with Win7 and Skype, it seems perfectly obvious that their people should talk to their people, if you get my drift.
Did someone mention Google? With VOIP? Tell me more,
before I make that long drive to Luxembourg,
Bill Ure

October 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm
(26) Blake says:

Hi Again,
I posted Aug 21 #8. Was just wondering if keith has been able to get anything resolved with Skype/Windows 7 issue. Am still having the same very frustrating problems. I’m also wondering about the google solution but as seen a lot generally lately, they seem to be requiring a personal phone number which I am not comfortable with. Any ideas, comments? Thanks
PS I wonder if Keith didn’t get enough responses to warrant an ‘ear’ from Skype?

October 25, 2010 at 9:38 am
(27) Yolanda says:

Hi

I’ve been using skype for many years now. I bought new laptop Dell Latitude with Windows 7 and I can not connect to skype.

October 27, 2010 at 3:58 am
(28) Satish says:

Hi,

I am using Skype on Windows 7, I am having following problems:

1) People See me online, I see them Online but our messages don’t get on time, they just get delayed by hrs.
2) People are online but they appear offline in my Skype whereas they appear online in Skype installed in Windows XP.

Please let me know solutions for this.

Thanks

November 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(29) Craig Hustadt says:

Some prob lem here. If I use Messenger no problem with video or voice. Skype broken voice and broken video.
I checked the routing and found that it takes 550 ms from Toronto, ON to Port Charlotte, FL checked the routing on Messenger only took 27 ms could be the problem?
Skype routing?

November 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm
(30) Emma says:

Hi, ive tried everything to download skype. I hit the download button and then it says run, so when i clicked run it did not officially download, it just exited out…i need help.

Thanks!

December 5, 2010 at 5:44 pm
(31) asad says:

while talking with anothe rparty on skype (I have window 7) . every thing is OK, however after few minutes the other caller tells me that my photo is frozen but I can still see them fine. Any suggestions

December 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm
(32) Terry Barge says:

December 22, 2010 – no connection possible at all right now and has been that way for a few hours now (Time now UK 22.27)Checked with colleague nearby and he cannot connect either. Skype say server problem??

December 29, 2010 at 5:55 pm
(33) vanda says:

I have got a new desktop witrh WIN 7 and cannot get a connection with skype, I cannot get any of my contacts on to the contact page,and have non stop problems, please can anyone help it is driving me crazy

January 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(34) Daniel says:

what is the point of this page, lots of problems and only ‘Peter Parkes’ has any answers.
don’t know why the author bothered everyone knows there are problems what we needs is answers..
SORRY, went to ‘Parkes’ site no help there -Skype- is the one with the problemssssss

from ‘downunder’

January 9, 2011 at 1:54 am
(35) Andre S. says:

Okay. Everytime I attempt to videocall someone on Skype, my sound automatically shuts off, and ends the call.
Can you help tme?

February 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(36) Lisa says:

I am having problems with Windows 7 and skype. When I make a call, the receiver can only hear me if my video is off. When the video is on, the sound is severely distorted. I have troubleshooted multiple options including adjusting my firewall settings. Can anyone help me please?????